Hey everyone, I just wanted to write a quick blog today wish everyone a Happy Holidays. I was too busy with family obligations to do any birding today. I never even got to drive by Quidi Vidi for a quick 5 minute scan. Years ago I would spend the better part of Christmas day at the St.John's landfill. After I met my fiancee that tradition seemed to die for some odd reason? The dump seems like a great place to spend Christmas day to me,surrounded by thousands of gulls. Oddly Jen isn't so much into the idea..weird :)Of course, the landfill is no longer open to birders, or anyone else for that matter so it isn't even a an option to hold my Christmas day dump vigil these days anyway.
Tomorrow, myself and local birder Alvan Buckley will be participating the in St.John's Christmas count. I'm excited to be able to do the count after a 2 year absence due to work obligations. Now, birding is my work and I'm loving every minute of it! I'll post the details of our portion of the count on my blog tomorrow night. I may also be announcing another upcoming tour, I'm just trying to pull all the details together.
- ► 2011 (36)
- ► 2010 (38)
- Birding for Winter Specialties in Newfoundland
- The Best of Looks at the Rarest of Gulls
- Winter on the Southern Avalon Encore!! Jan 16th
- St.John's Christmas Count
- Happy Hollidays
- Southern Avalon Peninsula Birds and Caribou
- Dreaming of an European Invasion zzzzzzzzzzzzz
- Bird of the Day Feature
- Of Berries,Robins and Euro Turds
- Gull Workshop II Announced
- Newfoundland Winter Birds, in Newfoundland Weather
- Successful Day,but Mega Tired...
- Kumlien's Gulls of St.John's
- Introduction to Gulls Workshop- January 9th
- Christmas Came Early
- Winter on the Avalon Tour-SOLD OUT!!!
- Welcome (The Big year)
- ▼ December (17)
**Note This blog is posted in an effort to illicit responses from people with experience identifying silent Wood Pewees in the field. A g...
The purpose of this blog is purely to provide a large collection of photos of American Herring Gull wing tips. All photos are of adult birds...
Over the last few years I've been spending an inordinate amount of time studying weather maps and radars and then comparing those maps a...
This is a story about an encounter I had with a Yellow-legged Gull many years ago ( 8 years ago to be exact). For the unfamiliar, Yellow-leg...
This is just a short article in response to a recent discussion on the North American Gulls facebook group regarding ageing Glaucous Gulls a...