Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gyr Search- Day 1

If your a regular reader of my blog, you've probably noticed me lamenting the dearth of Gyrfalcons on the Avalon Peninsula. Late last night, while working on an article discussing the separation of Yellow-legged Gull from similar Lesser-Black-backed Gull X Herring Gull hybrids, I had a bit of a brainstorm. Could I be part of the problem hereƉ Tht is could I be contributing to my own severe case of Gyrlessness?

That got me thinking. I was trying to remember the last time I actually went off in search of Gyrfalcon. I have never travelled specifically to see them and moreover I've hardly put any effort into increasing my luck around the Avalon. I could drive the 1000+ km's to the tip of the Northern Peninsula nd be virtually guaranteed to see Gyrs and while I'm not ruling that out, it's not in the cards for the next couple of weeks at least.

For now, my plan is to head out to Cape Spear every morning for the first hour or two of day light and try my luck out there. Historically this has been good pace to see Gyrs, especially after a few days of winds with a northern component. Since there isn't any sea ice at all around the Avalon Peninsula any wandering Gyrs will have to find land. Occasionally this happens at head lands such as Cape Spear, where they are sit and wait and hunt unsuspecting sea ducks and other sea birds from the rocky out crops that line the coast.

Ok, well dawn is approaching, so I'd better get going. I'm not loving the idea of having to get into that ice box out in my driveway, but it's a small price to pay for a chance at Gyr nirvana. If I see a Gyr this morning you'll know it. Wish me luck!

I'll leave you with this. Amazing footage yet again of the world's coolest bird...

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to finding out if you get to see the Gyr -very cool birds

    ReplyDelete